Journey South Bay Church is a unique church because we are actually two churches that became one. Together we are one body-of-Christ who worships and glorifies one living God through our Savior, Jesus Christ.
Alex is native of Lookout Mountain, TN, but has spent most of his adult life in Pennsylvania (2004-2014) and California. After graduating from Westminster Theological Seminary in Philadelphia, he and his family moved to State College, PA where they lead a chapter of Reformed University Fellowship (RUF) at Penn State for six years. In July of 2014, the Watlingtons moved to Los Angeles to begin a new chapter of RUF at USC. Alex enjoys golf, college football, movies, and exploring LA restaurants. In August 2002, Alex married his wife Becki. They have three children: Whit, Miles, and Monroe; they reside in the Pasadena area.
You can expect friendly and authentic people, engaging and relevant music and worship, compelling preaching from the Bible, and an opportunity to encounter God. You can expect to find a place where creativity and fellowship come together to worship God in new and exciting ways. You can expect to be encouraged, challenged, convicted, excited and, most importantly, welcomed.
The mission of Journey South Bay Church is to glorify God by helping people become devoted followers of Christ
Our vision is to be a church of grace-filled people, empowered for community transformation and new church formation, so that the Gospel is faithfully transferred from person to person and generation to generation.
Small Groups are an essential part of our church, as they provide a place where deeper fellowship and better support for one another can take place. Considering that the early church worshipped in large settings - in the synagogues - as well as in homes, we unite together similarly in order to be in deeper fellowship with God and one another.
We love music. Expect to hear everything from hymns to the most recent contemporary music you hear on the radio. We use music to show our Lord how much we love and honor Him.
Join us at Journey South Bay Church in Redondo Beach, CA.
There is parking behind the church or in the surrounding neighborhood.
Sunday Services are currently indoors at 9:00 a.m.
Sunday Services are also available online.
The coronavirus that causes the COVID-19 illness has become a worldwide concern and is on everyone’s minds. We are taking the best precautions we can at Journey South Bay. Please know that your safety continues to be our priority. Our Leadership Team is closely monitoring the evolving situation, including statements from state and local government agencies. Check back here for new COVID-19 updates.
Update as of July 24, 2021: Note that LA County has announced new health safety protocols (posted on the LA County COVID-19 Media Webpage - see Health Officer Orders). At Journey, we value individuals' choice to wear masks even if they are not required to under the county's protocols. Our primary concern continues to be on the health and safety of all, and we urge everyone to extend this same consideration in love to one another.
Per the CDC, "COVID-19 is a new disease, caused by a novel (or new) coronavirus that has not previously been seen in humans. Because it is a new virus, scientists are learning more each day. Although most people who have COVID-19 have mild symptoms, COVID-19 can also cause severe illness and even death. Some groups, including older adults and people who have certain underlying medical conditions, are at increased risk of severe illness."
With the ever-changing situation with the COVID-19 pandemic, we appreciate your flexibility as we adjust our kids and youth programs accordingly. Feel free to check back here for new updates. (Last updated on 03.01.2021)
Contact our Children's Ministry Director, Joanna Rodriguez, with questions or for more information, firstname.lastname@example.org.
JSB Littles (Nursery age kids):
- Nursery classroom is currently self-serve with live stream of service available. One parent may stay in the room with their infant. Please contact the Children’s Ministry Director by emailing email@example.com to reserve your spot in that classroom.
JSB Littles (Toddler to Kindergarten age kids):
- Sunday school for JSB Littles is in-person at 9:00 a.m. and through Zoom on Sundays at 10:30 a.m. (A monthly Sunday school bag is provided before the beginning of each month. Please contact the Children's Ministry Director to reserve a bag.)
JSB Kids' (1st to 5th grade age kids):
- Sunday school for JSB Kids is currently in-person on campus Sundays at 9:00 a.m.
Youth Ministry (6th through High School)
- Youth service is currently in the Sanctuary on Sundays at 10:45 a.m. Livestream on Youth's YouTube 'Youth Journey' channel is also available. youtube
Here is what we are doing:
- Hand sanitizers are being placed in key areas of our campus.
- Instead of passing the offering plate, there will be a container in the lobby where you can drop your tithing.
- Children’s equipment and play surfaces in our children’s ministry areas are being wiped down and sanitized.
- Additional custodial cleaning is being scheduled.
Here is what we are asking you to do:
- If you or your child is feeling sick, please stay home and listen to the sermon online from our website.
- able for you through this website or at our YouTube 'Journey South Bay Church' channel. youtube
- Wash your hands frequently for at least 20 seconds at a time with soap and water. Wash your kids’ hands too! It’s easy and incredibly effective in stopping the spread of germs.
- Cover your mouth any time you cough or sneeze with a tissue or, if necessary, the elbow of your shirt sleeve.
- To be sensitive to the concerns of others, as an alternative to handshaking, consider using an “elbow bump,” “air-five” or “shoe tap.”
- If you or a close family member tests positive for the coronavirus, please inform us.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or comments.
One final thing: Let’s PRAY...for the protection of our community and city, for wisdom for our leaders, healing for those who are sick, and a timely end to this virus pandemic. We know God is greater, He is working, and this is our opportunity to trust Him and show His love to others.
- Let us know if you or someone you know needs practical help getting through this period.
- Let us know if you are willing to be contacted to provide practical help to people in need during this time.
- Submit any prayer requests, or praise reports, to our Prayer Team.. We'd love to pray for you.
The topics below comprise our core beliefs at Journey South Bay.
We believe in one God who exists in three distinct persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. God is the creator and sustainer of life. We believe that Jesus Christ is fully God and fully man. We believe in His virgin birth, sinless life, miracles, atoning death, bodily resurrection, ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
We believe people were created in the image of God to have fellowship with Him, but became alienated from that relationship through sinful disobedience. As a result sinful people are unable to be restored into a right relationship with God by their own good works.
We believe that the death of Jesus Christ on the cross and His resurrection provides the sole basis for the forgiveness of sins and for restoring a right relationship with God. Therefore, salvation only occurs when, through God’s grace, a person places his faith in the death and resurrection of Christ as the sufficient payment for his sin.
We believe the entire Bible is the inspired Word of God and that men were moved by the Spirit to write words of Scripture. Therefore, the Bible is without error, in its original form, completely trustworthy and the ultimate authority for our beliefs and our lifestyles.
We believe that every Christian should live for Christ and not for himself. While we will always battle our sinful nature, God promises to conform us to the image of Christ, through obedience to the Word and through daily yielding to the Holy Spirit that dwells in every Christian.
We believe that the church is the body of Christ of which Jesus Christ is the Head. The members are those who have trusted by faith the finished work of Christ. The purpose of the church is to glorify God by loving Him and by making Him known to a lost world.
We believe in the return of Christ to establish a new heaven and earth. Upon Christ’s return, we believe in the resurrection of the dead and them final judgement, from which all believers in Christ will enter eternal life and all unbelievers will enter eternal punishment.